The Krenim scientist Annorax alters history by means of "temporal incursion". When Voyager first encounters a small Krenim patrol ship, their territory is small. But Annorax's eradication of the Zahl homeworld restores the vast Krenim Imperium, without anyone outside his temporal weapon ship noticing the change. Voyager is now attacked by a powerful Krenim warship using chroniton torpedoes to penetrate the shields. The Starfleet ship suffers extreme damage. Seven of Nine devises a temporal shielding based on Borg technology as a countermeasure.
Now protected against the chroniton torpedoes but also against changes in the timeline, the crew becomes aware of Annorax's following attempt to eradicate the Garenor homeworld. Annorax notices that Voyager's temporal shielding has disturbed his incursion and he strives to eradicate the Federation ship using his temporal weapon. With Tom and Chakotay captured by Annorax and the ship being damaged beyond repair, only Janeway and a skeletal crew remain on board.
In the meantime, Chakotay gains the trust of Annorax. He learns that Annorax strives to restore the lives of his family on the Kyana Prime colony, for whose extinction he is responsible himself. Tom, on the other hand, is outraged about Annorax, and he allies himself with Obrist, one of Annorax's man who is tired of his mission that has been going on for 200 years. When it becomes clear that Annorax is not going to stand down, Chakotay agrees to Tom's plan to transmit a message to Captain Janeway and convince Obrist to get ready to disable the temporal shielding of the weapon ship. Meanwhile Janeway has assembled a fleet of the Nihydron and the Mawasi that conducts an attack on Annorax's ship. Obrist takes down the shields, and Janeway conducts a suicide attack with the badly damaged Voyager. The weapon ship eradicates itself. Since it has never existed, everything is restored to its original state.
In the new timeline, Voyager ventures into Krenim space. This time, the captain of the Krenim warship is moderate: He advises Voyager that “this area of space is under dispute” and suggests they avoid it. Janeway remarks to Chakotay that she’s thinking of replicating a bottle of wine for Voyager’s re-dedication ceremony, saying the vintage is a “good year”. In this timeline, Annorax is seen working diligently in his study. His wife enters and asks him to enjoy the day with her. Annorax hesitates for a moment, and then decides that he can “make the time” for her. They leave while his work remains behind on his desk, depicting the calculations for his original alteration of the timeline.
Errors and Explanations
- Jenny Veitch on Saturday, November 14, 1998 - 2:37 pm: Why did Annorax keep his bit of his wife`s hair in a temporal shielded pyramid when there is a shield around the ship and when the ship`s shield is deactivated the Pyramid breaks? And why a Pyramid? 1) The temporal shielding on the pyramid was an extra layer of protection. 2) The pyramid broke due to the impact with the floor, after it was knocked of the table, due to the vibrations of the attack on the WeaponShip. 3) Using a pyramid means the inside of the point provides a natural mounting point for the hair.
- Nsetzer on Sunday, November 15, 1998 - 6:10 am: Once the temporal shield was down why didn't all the people on board turn to dust (like the hair disappeared)? They hadn’t already been erased from history, whereas Mrs Annorax, whose hair it was, had been!
- Johnny Veitch on Saturday, November 21, 1998 - 11:31 am: At one point in the big battle two Nihydron ships are destroyed by what appears to be the time-changing weapon on the WeaponShip. But I thought B`Elanna and Harry prevented this sort of thing from happening by installing temporal shields on the Nihydron ships? Isn`t this the whole purpose of temporal shields? NSetzer on Saturday, November 21, 1998 - 1:19 pm: I believe that the two Nihydron ships phased out of time because the weapon ship had first disabled the temporal shields (reference Annorax's line when they first engage in battle).
- Ed Jefferson (Ejefferson) on Thursday, February 18, 1999 - 12:24 pm: When Janeway gets severe burns that the Doctor can't completely heal, he uses the excuse of no dermal regenerator. I don't like this, as in the DS9 Tech Manual it says that they are standard pieces of equipment in a medical kit (i.e. one the boxes Doctors carry around). Surely they can't have been dumb enough to lose every medical kit! The surviving dermal regenerators are either out of power or damaged.
- cableface on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 3:12 pm: When Janeway and Kim go through the gas at the beginning of this episode, Doc says that the insides of their lungs were chemically burned.Assuming that they did not take off their gas masks when they ran out of oxygen, this means the gas could filter through the masks. If so, shouldn't it have burned their skin? And done absolutely horrible things to their eyes, which were fully exposed? Chris Thomas on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 9:46 pm: Maybe the gas only affects lung tissue?
- Chris Thomas on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 3:48 am: If Voyager is so rundown and in desperate need of energy and everything else, why do they keep the Doctor activated? Surely they're better switching him off and asking for the EMH when they really need him? Seniram 11:57, February 8, 2018 (UTC) It may not be possible to operate the deactivation/reactivation subsystem due to the damage.
|Voyager Season 4|
|Scorpion Part 2 I The Gift I Day of Honor I Nemesis I Revulsion I The Raven I Scientific Method I Year of Hell Part 1 I Year of Hell Part 2 I Random Thoughts I Concerning Flight I Mortal Coil I Waking Moments I Message in a Bottle I Hunters I Prey I Retrospect I The Killing Game Part 1 I The Killing Game Part 2 I Vis à Vis I The Omega Directive I Unforgettable I Living Witness I Demon I One I Hope and Fear|