Rapture : The Begotten : Fair Trade.
While Kira is about to deliver the O'Briens' baby, Odo has adopted a child of his own - an infant Changeling. Dr. Mora Pol, who once worked wit Odo, arrives from Bajor to assist him. But even though he is ordered by Starfleet Command to establish communication with the Changeling as soon as possible, Odo detests Mora's methods of using mild force to teach the shapeshifter. The two finally settle their conflict when their concerted efforts succeeds. However, the celebration doesn't last for long as the young Changeling is dying. As a final gift the Changeling merges with Odo and transforms him back into one of his kind.
Errors and Explanations
Internet Movie Database
Incorrectly regarded as goofs
- The O'Briens' baby is born without an umbilical cord. This could be an effect of the odd circumstances of its gestation.
- Ryan Smith on Thursday, April 22, 1999 - 10:05 pm: I guess Odo can make working electronic components from his person. Think about it. The dying Changeling infant infuses itself into Odo's body, restoring his shapeshifting abilities. Odo shapeshifts into a bird, leaving his cloth uniform on the floor of the lab. His commbadge is visible as a glint off the lights. After he finishes, he morphs back into his humanoid appearance, commbadge and all. Seniram Assuming it’s not a fake...
- Shouldn't the First Minister of Bajor have his own shuttle? That could make him an obvious target for kidnappers and/or assassins.
- Rene on Wednesday, July 07, 1999 - 3:03 pm: Why does Starfleet think that the baby changeling would anything about the Founders and the Dominion? It was sent out at the same time as Odo...so it would have as much knowledge of the Dominion as Odo has during the first two seasons of DS9....ZERO! NOTHING! Jesse on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:45 pm: Perhaps they were more interested in learning about the physiology/biology of a Founder rather than learning whatever knowledge the shapeshifter might possess.
- Mark Stanley on Monday, November 22, 1999 - 5:08 am: Spoilers for In Purgatory's Shadow!!!! Could the Bashir changeling have linked with the baby and saved it? Or did 'Bashir' fear being revealed if the baby learned to communicate, and help it along to death, or ignore a way to save it? Keith Alan Morgan on Monday, November 22, 1999 - 5:37 am: Ooooooh, good one. I doubt 'he' would have killed it, although he might have turned a blind eye to it. On the other hand, maybe the sick Changeling was delivered to Quark intentionally by a disguised Founder to see how Odo treated it? Since it was sick & dying nothing would be lost if it was turned over to Starfleet and if Odo saved it the Founder could 'rescue' the baby before Starfleet came to take it.
- According to the startrek.com episode list, the provisional stardate for this episode is 50451.