Jake is traveling with Dr. Bashir on a runabout to write an essay about the physician, when they receive a distress call from a Federation colony under attack by the Klingons. With Jake affirming that he could handle the situation and that it would make a good story, Bashir alters the course to aid the colony. Soon Jake finds himself in a makeshift hospital in a cavern, crowded with seriously injured and dying people. When he and Bashir go out to get an emergency generator from the runabout, they come under attack by the Klingons. Jake panics and runs away.
He runs into a dying soldier but can't help him. Some time later he finds his way back to the cavern but doesn't talk about his experience. As the Klingons keep advancing, the hospital has to be evacuated. Jake is hiding when Klingons enter the cavern and shoot the last guard. Jake grabs the rifle in panic, fires erratically and accidentally releases an avalanche that stops the Klingon advance. Instead of writing about Bashir, Jake decides to describe his own behavior in the crisis and the thin line between cowardice and courage.
Errors and Explanations
- Keith Alan Morgan on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 8:51 am: Those honorable Klingons don't care much for cease fires, do they? Maybe these Klingons mistook the hospital for a legitimate target. CdnTIm 1305 EST 9 Feb 2021 - As Ezri points out to Worf at the end of season 7, Klingons have come to talk a lot about honour, but become pretty willing to violate when it suits them.
- Why was Doctor Bashir allowed to waltz out of the hospital to lug back a generator? Shouldn't it have been one of the orderlies who went with Jake? It may sound cruel, but an orderly is an expendable person in such a situation, while a Doctor is a valuable commodity. There may not have been any orderlies spare at that point. CdnTIm 1307 EST 9 Feb 2021 - Bashir is also a Starfleet officer, and may be the best suited to the dangerous job.
- Starfleet certainly provides their soldiers with incredibly inefficient water containers. It didn't look like that container could hold very much and it spilled rather easily. Whatever happened to twentieth century style refillable canteens? Seniram Perhaps they’ve been destroyed by the Klingons!
- John A. Lang on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 10:02 pm: There's an URGENT need to get the generator...so why are Jake & Bashir WALKING to the Runabout? Seniram Running could tire them out enough to prevent them from carrying the generator back without stopping.
- Klank on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 2:33 pm: Why weren't there any security guards with them? I haven't seen this ep. in a long time so I can't remember if there were, but there should have been someone out there able to defend them. Mrcrusher (Mrcrusher) on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 12:04 pm: There weren't any security guards in the compound to send with them.
- Joel Croteau (Jcroteau) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:10 pm: Why did they land the runabout? They said they couldn't beam down because the caves were made of some scattering metal that blocked their transporters, but couldn't they just beam down to the entrance of the cave, instead of landing a kilometer away? Seniram The scattering effect could extend to the area immediately outside the cave entrance.
- According to the startrek.com episode list, the provisional stardate for this episode is 50103.