O'Brien is recruited by Starfleet Intelligence for an undercover mission on Farius Prime. On the planet he becomes friends with Bilby, a man working for the Orion Syndicate. The Syndicate has forged an alliance with the Dominion who expect the gangsters to assassinate the Klingon ambassador on Farius - in the hopes that it might end the alliance with the Federation. O'Brien foils the scheme by informing his contact, Chadwick. But he also warns Bilby that their plan is destined to fail and the Klingons would definitely kill them. Bilby, however, decides to proceed as planned. Knowing the Orion Syndicate, it is the only way for him to protect his family from the revenge of the Syndicate because of his mistake of falling for a disguised Starfleet officer. Bilby asks O'Brien to care for his cat, and the two men part for the last time. O'Brien returns to Deep Space Nine saddened that he has sent a friend to his death.
Errors and Explanations
- Anonymous on Wednesday, March 03, 1999 - 4:26 pm: Are we really supposed to believe that Chief O'Brien is the only person in Starfleet that can keep the station operational? He leaves for a few days and the place falls apart. Charles Cabe (Ccabe) on Wednesday, March 03, 1999 - 7:45 pm: Chief O'Brien probably isn't the only one who can keep the station operational. But, knowing the DS9 curse, the other ones that could keep DS9 going are probably on Cardassia Prime, both of them. Mike Konczewski on Thursday, March 04, 1999 - 6:51 am: I have the impression that, while O'Brien is an outstanding engineer, he is a terrible manager. He doesn't know anything about delegating duties. That's why when he leaves, things fall apart. He hasn't trained anyone to think on their own. CdnTim 1701 EST 17Feb2021 - Further to that, he may have operations set up a particular way...with his absence being temporary, no one wants to start changing shifts and assignments to cover a short-term absence.
- Thande on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 4:54 am: Isn't it interesting that we see lots of people working for the Orion Syndicate, yet none of them are Orions! (I'd expect at least one, probably in charge). They probably prefer to stay well hidden.
- The Klingon disruptor rifle used by Bilby fires a continuous red beam, whereas the other disruptors we've seen on DS9 fire short green bursts. However, the Klingon disruptors in ST3 did fire a red beam, so it might just be an older model...the only annoying thing is, they use the same prop for both types. LUIGI NOVI on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 6:32 am: I don't see why the weapon thing has to be annoying. So they modified it to have different settings and stuff. The TOS Enterprise, IIRC, had different-colored phaser beams. Thande on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 8:51 am: True… I suppose it's the beam vs. burst thing which seems more incongruous than differently coloured beams (the Enterprise-D's main phasers also changed colour when they were modulating frequencies in BoBW).LUIGI NOVI on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:38 am: It was established in Destiny (DS9) that phasers can be modified to emit short bursts or continuous beams, and phaser pistols have settings for both power and beam width, which to me, just makes sense. Why shouldn't a weapon have different beam settings, or at least be modifiable to do so? AWhite (Inblackestnight) on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 6:27 pm:The disruptors with the more cone-shaped emitter are the ones we see typically firing the green burst of energy; aside from in ST VI that is. The ones in this ep are indeed an older model, but likely has different settings as well.
- AWhite (Inblackestnight) on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 6:27 pm: As much as I enjoyed this ep, one of the better this season IMHO, I don't find it very plausible. For starters, It seems out of character for the Dominion to do business with any AQ criminal organizations; it's just not their style, at least not so blatantly by using a Vorta; a Changling on the other hand...Perhaps they want to use the criminal activities of the Syndicate to destabilise the Alpha Quadrant. CdnTim 1702 EST 17Feb2021 - If you think about the Dominion war machine, it seems odd...if you think about the Founders, always infiltrating and spreading doubt, it makes more sense.
- According to the startrek.com episode list, the provisional stardate for this episode is 51516.