Learning Curve : Facets : Projections.
Dax prepares to undergo the zhian'tara, a ceremony in which joined Trills transfer the personalities of previous hosts to other individuals. Kira takes over Lela's personality, with O'Brien following as Tobin, Leeta as Emony, Quark as the (female) Audrid and Bashir as the unfortunate Torias who died in a shuttle accident. Sisko has the hardest part, as he is going to be Joran, the criminal host, and he is locked up in a holding cell for everyone's safety. When Joran/Sisko persuades Jadzia to lower the forcefield, he assaults her, but fortunately she can disable him with precise blows. Odo literally morphs into Curzon Dax when he takes over this part. Jadzia is uneasy with Curzon, who once forced her out of the initiate program, separated from her. To her surprise, Curzon announces that he would stay in Odo's body. But Jadzia confronts him with the true reason why he did not want her to be joined - Curzon was in love with her. After this revelation he agrees to be reintegrated with Dax. In the meantime, Nog has passed his entrance exam for Starfleet Academy and proudly wears his future cadet uniform for the first time.
Errors and Explanations
The Nitpickers Guide for Deep Space Nine Trekkers
- I wonder why Verad didn't get to participate in the zhian'taraz. True, he stole Dax and almost cost Jadzia her life. It's also true that he had the symbiont for a short time only, but he was a host, was he not? (See Invasive Procedures.) He wasn’t an official host. CdnTim 1333 EST 5 Feb 2021 - He also wasn't joined long enough to fully bond, his memories probably didn't transfer to Dax.
- As mentioned in the review for Q-Less, Dax engages in behavior during this episode that I find somewhat shocking. According to Ménage à Troi (TNG), Ferengi males consider their ears one of their most erogenous zones. That episode also reveals that stroking a Ferengi's cartilage-—giving oo-mox—amounts to sexual foreplay. Yet when Quark won't agree to be a part of the zhian'tara, Dax—in what seems like a radical character departure—grabs Quark's ears and pleasure-numbs him into submission. Now, I realize that Quark is a Ferengi and we're just supposed to think that anybody can do anything to him because he's a Ferengi and he probably deserves it. But it still boggles my mind that a sophisticated, intelligent woman like Dax would stoop to this depth just to get a favor. Jadzia is clever enough to trick Quark without him realising it!
- Does Joran seem a bit more wacko since the last time we saw him? At the end of Equilibrium he came up to Jadzia and placed his head on her chest. In this episode he tries to strangle her! The Joran seen in Equilibrium may not have completely free of the memory block.
- BrianB on Wednesday, April 14, 1999 - 2:34 am: This episode should've been titled "Faces", but Voyager got that one first. The title they used is more appropriate, as Jadzia is using the ritual to interact with her symbiont’s previous hosts, with each representing a facet of their joint personality.
- ScottN on Friday, April 23, 1999 - 10:09 am: This episode establishes that Odo's clothes are part of him. When Odo/Curzon decides he doesn't like his outfit, he steps back from Jadzia and Sisko, and waves his arms. When he's done, his clothes are different. Keith Alan Morgan on Saturday, May 08, 1999 - 8:28 am: ScottN: So Odo's walking around stark naked? Why haven't the censors done anything about this? Seniram He doesn’t appear to be naked – that’s why!
- So just anyone can walk into a holosuite program while it's running? I'll bet Nog was glad that he was not running the Pleasure Goddess of Rixx program when Jake came in. (Of course, maybe that's why Jake did come in? He is a teenage boy after all.) It would depend on the instructions given to the computer at the start of the program.
- Okay let me get this straight, for a Starfleet test they decide to have the wannabe cadet try to work the controls of a Cardassian station? Talk about your stress tests. What's next, testing the applicants to see how they would react to being assimilated by the Borg? ("Well, he's not Starfleet material, but he would make one hell of a drone!") They want to evaluate the cadet’s ability to cope under stress.
- If the Symbiosis Commission has been wanting Jadzia to do the zhian'tara for some time, then why didn't they have her do it after the events of Equilibrium? She needed time to get used to having the memories of an unstable host.
- In all the other transfers the trill host immediately takes control of the volunteers, but when Joran's memories are transferred to Sisko, it seems to take a minute or two for Joran to take over. (Thereby giving Jadzia and the guardian time to leisurely stroll out of the holding cell.) Why didn't Sisko stand in the cell, Jadzia outside the cell and then when the guardian steps back they can activate the force field? Sisko was able to use the control that the volunteers have – which Quark demonstrated during his session - to supress Joran until the force field was in place.
- Chris Thomas on Wednesday, February 02, 2000 - 7:14 am: How can Curzon-Odo drink in this episode? OK, Curzon might be part of Odo but it's mentioned the joined Odo is still a shapeshifter. In other episodes Odo can't drink, so why here? Mylan on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 11:28 pm: It seems to me that Odo could replicate functioning organs, but doesn't because he has no idea how. He's never experienced taste, so how could he make a working tongue? Curzon, however, knows all too well the sensation of drinking. He also knows how to use Odo's shapeshifting. Thus, as Curzon-Odo, I think it would be well within his ability to make a fully functional tongue. As for the drink itself, he could just make a hollow cavity and expel it later. Now as for actually getting drunk... that would be a little trickier.
- If Curzon performed the zhian'tara, wouldn't he have come across Joran before and therefore wouldn't that be part of Jadzia's memories? David on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:23 pm: The memory-suppression mechanism must have been stronger when he did his zhian'tara, and any minor hallucinations he might have had could easily have been chalked up to his flamboyant lifestyle and the inevitable hangovers thereof.
- If Curzon loved Jadzia when she applied, it's surprising he never confided in Sisko about it back then. David on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:23 pm: I suspect that the symbiont has some degree of selective control over what it lets the host know about. And Curzon, for one, would have strongly not wanted Jadzia to know about his love for her.
- John A. Lang on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 3:16 pm: TOS SALUTE: Quark serves Tranya...from The Corbomite Maneuver. I guess Dave Bailey came back from Balok's ship & brought the recipe with him. Either that or the Federation signed a trade agreement with Balok’s people.
- Kinggodzillak on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 5:58 pm: Why wasn't Verad Dax part of the Zhian Tara thingy? He wasn't even mentioned, was he? Was it that he just wasn't around too long, or was it that they couldn't be bothered to ask someone like Rom or Eddington to take him? LUIGI NOVI on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 12:11 pm:I would imagine that he didn't have the symbiont long enough for his consciousness to imprint itself on it.