Worf and Jadzia receive a transmission from Lasaran, a Cardassian agent who is about to defect and who has crucial information about the Founders in the Alpha Quadrant. Lasaran expects Worf and Jadzia to meet him on the planet Soukara from where he can't simply be beamed off. In the jungle of Soukara, however, the two run into a Jem'Hadar patrol, and Jadzia is seriously wounded with an anti-coagulant. With a bleeding that can't be stopped, the only hope for her is to be taken to a sickbay very soon. Worf, who was already on the way to retrieve Lasaran, returns to Dax. While his wife recovers, Lasaran is killed. Sisko tells Worf that, as a husband, he would have done just the same. But as a Starfleet officer Worf has made an utterly wrong decision which will be a stain on his record.
Errors and Explanations
- Cableface on Friday, February 12, 1999 - 2:40 pm: Dax and Worf, on foot, in hostile territory, out in the open.Hmm.… Sure would have been handy to have a couple of those cloaking suits we saw in Insurrection BrianB on Friday, April 16, 1999 - 5:49 am: Not to shoot you down, Cableface, but perhaps the cloak suits are newly invented by the time of ST9 and reserved for more classified missions like duck blinds. I don't disagree with you, tho, it would've helped. However, to shoot my own point down, da Jems scan for trespassers, the Ba'Ku were presumably technology-ignorant. CdnTim 1706 EST 17Feb2021 - Perhaps the holographic cloaking fields require a "base station" in the duck blind, and are only effective once that is set up.
- Keith Alan Morgan on Saturday, May 01, 1999 - 6:32 am: So what if there are anti-coagulants in the blood. Cauterize the wound to stop the bleeding Seniram 11:20, October 26, 2017 (UTC) That could have resulted in the anti coagulants spreading further..
- multi-midichlorians on Tuesday, June 15, 1999 - 3:24 pm: Things I found strange...
1)The Defiant was away, and yet Worf, Dax, O'Brien and Bashir were still on the station. Mike Nuss on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:11 pm: 1) One could also ask why Worf was commanding the Defiant in First Contact instead of Sisko, and why none of the regular DS9 crew was with him. Perhaps the Defiant's mission didn't require the entire senior staff, although it didn't look like anything was going on aboard the station that would have required them either. AWhite (Inblackestnight) on Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 12:32 pm:Because Worf is actually the one assigned to command the Defiant. Sisko is the station's commanding officer so that is where he should be, unless of course all the senior staff have somewhere else to be like they usually do.
2) They didn't seem to think it would be too hard to find a Cardassian in the thick jungle without using a tricorder.Mike Nuss on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:11 pm:He gave them coordinates for a rendevous point. They knew where they were going to land, they knew where he would be, and so they knew how to find him.
3) They somehow managed to get deep into Cardassian space on a runabout!Mike Nuss on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:11 pm:There are other instances of this, I'm sure. I don't think the border is patrolled very closely. Plus, the spy told them he'd "taken care of everything" when they pointeed out that it would be difficult to get that deep into Dominion territory. Once they made it to the system the planet was in, they flew through an asteroid field, where they knew there were holes in the sensor grid. Presumably he gave them tips on how to avoid sensors and ships on the way there also.
4) When playing cards with Quark, I'm pretty sure Bashir said confront. Isn't this 'show me what you've got'? (could be wrong)Mike Nuss on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:11 pm:I suppose you know this because you've read the Tongo rulebook?
5) They couldn't use the tricorder because the Jem'Hadar would be able to detect them - Worf used it on Jadzia three times.Mike Nuss on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:11 pm:The exact line was "Our tricorders will be useless from now on." I took that to mean that they wouldn't be able to use the tricorders to find out where they were going, not necessarily that short-range scans wouldn't work. I don't remember any other lines that would clarify this, so I could be wrong.
6) On the way back to the runabout, not only did Worf carry Dax 10km, but they didn't encounter any more Jem'Hadar. Mike Nuss on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:11 pm:They weren't planning on encountering any in the first place. Their life signs were masked and they were tied into the sensor grid, it looks like they just got unlucky when they got ambushed. (And lucky on the way back).