The Jem'Hadar have almost completely wiped out the Maquis who were fighting against the Cardassians. Yet, Sisko receives a message that the Maquis have launched a series of missiles against the Cardassians as a final retaliation. In order to stop the missiles, Sisko takes the reluctant Michael Eddington into the war zone where they have to evade two Jem'Hadar vessels. Eddington final gives in to Sisko's demand and leads the captain to Athos IV. After fending off two Jem'Hadar soldiers they don't find any weapons but a few Maquis survivors among many corpses. Eddington introduces Sisko to his wife Rebecca. The message about the missiles was a trick by Rebecca to let her husband know that she has safely arrived on Athos. But when the Jem'Hadar advance toward the hiding place, Eddington is wounded. He stays behind to provide coverage and is killed while valiantly battling the attackers.
Errors and Explanations
- Chris booton on Friday, December 11, 1998 - 10:47 pm: How come after he got shot, Eddington did not put his disrupter on overload and lob it into that crowd of Jem'hadar like a grenade? There may not have been enough charge in the power cell.
- BrianB on Thursday, April 15, 1999 - 3:41 am: Eddington introduced his wife as Rebecca Sullivan. Uh, didn't he mean Rebecca Sullivan-Eddington? Mike Konczewski on Thursday, April 15, 1999 - 7:48 am: Brian--it is possible that Rebecca kept her maiden name after they got married. People do it today (my sister-in-law, for example). Rebecca's also got a good reason; her husband is a known criminal.
- One thing that vexes me is Eddington's rants about real food vs. replicated food. He should be happy his last meal LOOKS like chicken curry & rice with carrots instead of color cubes from TOS. Give me those classic sci-fi days where we didn't ask why the replicators worked the way they did. They just did and it was GOOD that they did. Maybe he is so annoyed BECAUSE the food looks so realistic!
- Is this the end of Eddington? I was trying to be optimistic and holding out hope that in the 7th season Sisko would rescue him from a Jem'Hadar prison camp. Worked for Enabran Tain. cableface on Thursday, March 30, 2000 - 11:29 am: Brian B, it worked for Tain because we never actually saw him die. I severely doubt Eddington made it out alive. Not necesserily because he got shot. But he mumbled his loved one's name, and that always means that that person is on the verge of death. It's a proven fact. No way did he survive.
- Keith Alan Morgan on Thursday, April 29, 1999 - 8:09 am: Why not just warn Cardassia of the cloaked Maquis missiles? It seems a lot easier than risking being shot by the Jem'Hadar or even starting a war. dotter31 on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:01 am: I believe that during discussion of the missiles they were described as unstoppable, and (whether they are or not) if they are fitted with Klingon cloaking devices, Cardassia & the Dominion would be angry at the Klingons for helping the Maquis and declare war on the Klingons (and the Federation since they are allies) KAM on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 2:52 am: I still think that notifying them would have been the best course of action. The Dominion might be angry or they might not. The Dominion might declare war or they might not. However catching an undercover group of Starfleet personnel sneaking around in Cardassian/Dominion space would be a lot harder for the Federation to explain away in a diplomatic manner. dotter31 on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 7:50 am:The Dominion is not interested in diplomacy. The whole point of Sisko's mission in The Search was to find and talk to the Founders diplomatically and what did they do? They captured them (representatives of the Federation) and subjected them to an experiment. Since the war starts not long after this clearly the Dominion was getting ready for one and I think they would have used a (successful or not) missile attack to justify attacking the Klingons (and their allies) since they used Sisko's minefield as a pretext when it did start.
- According to the startrek.com episode list, the provisional stardate for this episode is 50856.